Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Eating Healthy this Week

Here are a couple kid approved meals that are healthy. The last couple months have left me with little motivation or consideration towards our diet. As such we have had lots of quick and easy, not so health conscious meals. This week has started off better.


Garlic mashed potatoes with French lentil/spinach cakes surrounded by sautéed tomato and onion puree. The kids love things that are shaped hence the approval of the lentil cakes.

Cheesy polenta topped with mixed bean (black, pinto, adzuki, kidney)paste with spinach. Lots of greens in this...I put spinach in the polenta and the bean paste. There is also garlic and tomato in the bean paste. Elias did the decorating on these, so instead of the cool looking spiral of bean paste we wound up with piles of it...not so pretty. :)

Normally we would serve these with a big green salad, but I have yet to make it to the store for groceries.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The lentil spinach cakes look tasty. What binders and spices do you use? do you mash up the lentils?

And I love your garden pics--attractive and sooooo productive! I need some inspiration to motivate me. tia tanna

Kris said...

This time I used an egg and pureed the veggies and lentils leaving some of the lentils whole. I sprayed a small muffin pan and coated it in whole wheat bread crumbs. :)