Monday, June 22, 2009

Why Homeschool?

Just a list of thoughts on why I would rather home school than public school. Midnight ramblings...

Testing: all kinds of studies that testing is superficial...yet they keep adding more.

Reality Based: most of the work done in a classroom setting is not connected to what you will use in life or at least the connection isn't readily apparent.

Age: kids are grouped by age...not skill level or comfort in a subject.

Development: schools under challenge...there is no push to do something interesting or important. You have to try things and make mistakes.

Choice: there is no chance for a student to choose what they want to learn. All the choices are meaningless and choosing is a motivation to learn.

8 hours!: sitting in a classroom environment for most a day is hard...for anyone!

Memorization: lots of the lessons in school are memorization. Some of that is needed, but otherwise you can Google it. I would rather there be discussion and understanding.

Busywork: who wants meaningless homework designed to keep you busy and frustrate parents who deal with cranky kids.

Focus: schools are required to hit all subject in a given day. At home you can focus on a subject without feeling obligated to move on to the next task.

Outdoors: spend more time doing in a home setting...not cooped up.

Social: instead of being with just one age group you can spend time with all groups and learn what the different views they offer.

Family: we can spend time with family and friends who care and love the kids.

Subjects: any subject can be explored...not just the basics.

Alright...off to bed. :)

2 comments:

ALYN said...

I've got a kitchen full of dishes calling me... Sorry I'm commenting so much.

That's great to read your reasons for homeschool. Kudos to you for being willing to do the hard work involved! Do you belong to a homeschool group/friends? Has your son "started" his schooling yet? : )

Some of my friends homeschool, and I've never asked their reasons. I guess I should! : )

Kris said...

Please, comment away. I love comments.

I always ask people "Why homeschool?" The reasons are as varied as the people. Some have lots of the same reasons, but the ones they have at the top in importance might be closer to the bottom for me.

We do belong to a couple groups and as for starting we don't sit down for work, but just follow his interests. Seems to work, I just need more TIME! :)