Thursday, February 21, 2008

Cooking the Kristin Way


I love food...it is a motivator and a hobby. Craig often joked when we first met that my family never talked about anything else. He was right, and now does the same thing. My brothers are both chefs and we often trade ideas and recipes, call to exclaim over a dinner we are eating and plan all our visits around what or where we will be eating. It is very common to hear "Do you remember the camping trip that *this* happened?" "Oh yeah, we made *this*...it was delicious."

With that stated, I figure that food blogs will occur more often than others. Numerous friends and family ask me to share recipes, print off a cookbook or call me for ideas on a regular basis and I am hoping I can just post here and send them to it.

My style of cooking is very relaxed...I tend to measure loosely, if at all, and the world would collapse if I didn't change something in a recipe. While cooking I try and lower the salt and sugar content, substitute whole wheat and almost never use anything bleached(i.e. white rice, all purpose flour etc.) Cooking by feel is the norm in my kitchen. As such a food blog might not be a "recipe"; just an idea with loose amounts. I will try and put in recipes with measurements and procedures, but hope that people will be adventurous!

4 comments:

Alan Post said...

I'm decidedly *not* that kind of cook: I love making measurements and writing down recipes, etc. I try not to be annoying about it, as I often find myself cooking people that approach it like you do.

I wish I had some sage-like advice on how to blend the two styles, as some days I'm not really willing to bend. :-( I note, however, recipes that I've made a lot I measure less. I've never successfully communicated "yes, but I'm still trying to learn this, now how many cups?"

With time.

Craig said...

Kristin always mocks me for studious measurements. Somehow I'm not surprised that you are a measurer too. :)

ALYN said...

Nathan, the scientist, is also a non-measurer. After being precise at work in the lab, he wants to be more spontaneous in the kitchen.

I usually follow the recipe the first time, although I love changing things and then I run into trouble easily. "Alyn Bedelia" makes some interesting meals! So I try to be more precise with the hope that it'll turn out. With more experience, I'm learning what substitutions are good ideas!

Kris said...

Alyn - I find it surprising that Nathan goes from one to the other. I find that most engineers like the comfort of a measurement.

I think we all make some interesting meals when experimenting, I know that I have. That is when we just order pizza!