Thursday, February 21, 2008

Versatile Polenta!


Polenta is such a wonderful substance! It is fantastic served in its mush state with sautéed veggies, cooled and shaped and then grilled for towers, layered for lasagna or baked in a tart pan for a pizza.

The other night I was looking for dinner inspiration and came across a polenta pizza. With a few changes to accommodate the items in my kitchen I came up with this flavorful pizza! I used goat cheese and spinach for the sauce with fresh tomato, kalamata olives, fresh basil and mozzarella to top it off. It was perfect served with a green salad. It was a definite hit with Craig and Sam.

Recipe:

1 1/2 cups polenta cornmeal
2 cups cold water
1/4 t. salt
1/2 c. parmesan cheese
3.5 oz. goat cheese
1 c. packed spinach leaves
Toppings of your choice

Preheat oven to 375 deg. Oil 10 inch tart pan (I used one with a removable base). Combine polenta with water in sauce pan. Bring to a boil and then simmer, stirring constantly for 5 minutes. Add grated parmesan cheese and cook a few more minutes. Add polenta to tart pan and spread evenly and up the edges. Bake until dry and crisp on the edges, about 30 minutes.

In a food processor puree the spinach and goat cheese. Spread this over the crust. Add your chosen toppings and bake until your cheese is melted. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with basil before serving.

6 comments:

GrumpyGranpa said...

Well, really nice blog. I look forward to the receipes. Of course I will have to cook them since the other half is lazy.

cpostrn said...

Craig was actually surprised when I said I used to cook. Dave, remember when we would entertain in our younger days? I DO recall that my father was really a wonderful cook, not the prettiest presentation but it tastest great. Dave, as was his father, also produce fantastic dishes from the kitchen. I learned long ago to sit back and wait and something tasty would be forthcoming. Lazy or sly? Tatik

cpostrn said...

Some corrections to my previous response,

"not the prettiest presentation but it tasted great"

"Dave, and his father, produce fantastic dishes from the kitchen (his father used to, not anymore because of where he lives)"

Alan Post said...

I love polenta, but so far it has been "convenience food," meaning we buy it pre-made and wrapped in plastic.

I've very keen to make some myself, as it is embarrassingly easy. But, I have a question: does it require "polenta cornmeal" or will cornmeal do? and if cornmeal does, will masa harina do just as well?

Craig said...

Everytime I look at that picture it makes me crave that meal. Goat cheese... kalamata olives... fresh tomatoes... It was delicious!

Kris said...

I have never tried it with anything but the "polenta style" cornmeal in the bulk bins. I do think you could do it with regular cornmeal, it would just be a bit stickier. I don't think masa harina would work as it is more of a flour than a meal.

"as it is embarrassingly easy" - Very true...I did used to buy it too and then felt really silly after making it for the first time! It also keeps really well in the refrigerator.