Monday, July 6, 2009

Plethora of Peaches

We purchased a case of peaches at the co-op. I thought it would give me an opportunity to freeze some for smoothies, oatmeal, etc later on. They were really good peaches and we ate the vast majority of them just sliced. Some of them made it into pancakes or oatmeal and the other day a number of them jumped into a pie.

My mom had a custard type of peach pie recipe that was wonderful. It has since been lost and I am now in a quest for a good recipe. This version was pretty good, but not as good as my memory of mom's (granted the memory tends to make everything taste much better!).

The recipe (which is approximate since I never measured):

1 pie crust
Mine was whole wheat (butter, flour, salt, water)
2 T. flour
2 eggs
1/4 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup plain yogurt
2 - 4 T brown sugar (My peaches were sweet so I sprinkled in very little)
1/2 t. vanilla
1/2 t. almond extract
6 - 7 peaches, diced


~ Heat oven to 375 degrees. Place prepared pie crust in pie plate.
~ Sprinkle in flour.
~ Whisk eggs, cream, yogurt, sugar, vanilla and almond together.
~ Add peaches and stir. Pour into pie pan.
~ Cook until center is set ~30 minutes. Cool before cutting.

2 comments:

ALYN said...

I've been thinking about blueberry or peach pie lately...

We went blueberry picking a couple days before we left for AZ, so we weren't able to eat as many fresh as usual this year. So I've got 2 bags of frozen blueberries.

I think you're inspiring me to do a garden post...

Kris said...

I love reading garden posts...Tucson has two seasons and they often overlap. What grows well here doesn't often grow well elsewhere at the same time.