Saturday, August 2, 2008

Saguaro Colors

Saguaro National Monument

Spring Prickly Pear - Summer Green

Wind in my face - Burgeoning driver


This is a favorite location for us. It is an eight mile loop, traffic is 15 mph....lots of riders, walkers and hikers. Craig and Sam cycle it often, we do some of the smaller hikes with the kids and I have gone out to walk it.

Saguaro is gorgeous in March and April, being covered in cactus blossoms, brittle bush flowers and spring greenery. The spring colors are peach, yellow and purple. The temperature is perfect at that time of year too. Summer offers another view of Saguaro, the monsoons bring water and so there are lush green cactus, green grasses and brush. Vines are lush and crawl down the arroyos, the ocotillo are so covered in leaves they hide their thorns. All the vegetation is topped with seed pods and red juicy prickly pear fruit. The summer heat is a bit too much, but early morning rides and hikes provide a nice start to the day.


Part of Saguaro's charm for the kids is the chance to ride outside the car seat. Going 15 mph around the loop allows us to let Elias sit in a lap or look out the window at all the animals crossing the road or the cyclists zooming past. Elias even gets to try steering once in a while!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sigh. You're making me homesick. But then, I bite into the big, red, juicy tomato I just picked in my backyard and I don't feel AS bad. :) Love the cactus pics though. I do miss the desert. (and y'all, of course) I can't believe how big Eva is already!! Wow.
-Monica

Kris said...

We have some of those juicy, sweet yellow pear tomatoes! Come on over. :) We really miss having you around. (y'all? You have been away too long!)

ALYN said...

I "you all" on occasion! I really love the Saguaro National monument...

I need to vacation to Tucson. But somehow we barely have enough time to visit Northern AZ. (Especially this year, since we took that trip.)

Kris said...

Alyn,

You are always welcome to stay with us! I love company.

If you let me know when you are coming to AZ I would be happy to drive up there to see you. We have done that for several people. Craig works from home and can work from the Verde Valley too.