Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Yogurt

Mmmmmm...nothing like a good bowl of yogurt. I disliked yogurt until adulthood, then along came Greek food and I loved tzatziki! Along came Elias and I started making yogurt myself. Homemade yogurt that I could sweeten to my personal (not sweet) level was a definite improvement.

I have made it with no incubator a couple times, but we bought one just for ease. It makes a quart at a time and we tend to make two to three batches a week.

Heat milk for 10 minutes or to an almost boil. Cool for a bit over an hour (until under 90 degrees). Add some plain yogurt with acidophilus ~1/3 cup. Stir gently until mostly combined and then incubate at 110 degrees for 4 to 10 hours until set. The longer the incubation the more tart the yogurt. We usually leave ours overnight.

I love how simple of a process it is, how inexpensive it makes my yogurt budget$ and how good for our health it is. We use yogurt in place of buttermilk or milk in lots of recipes; pancakes, biscuits, quick breads, even cookies. Bowls topped with fruit and granola are great healthy snacks. Tzatziki with pilaf is a favorite. Lemon lentil soup with a dollop is wonderfully creamy. Dips, spreads, frozen or on a warm fruit compote....yogurt!

2 comments:

Alan Post said...

I've started making kefir at my office, which is like a thin yogurt.

I like kefir in this setting because I can ferment it at room temperature. I don't have access to a stove, and I wasn't keen on taking up refrigerator space with my crazy projects.

I'd be happy to bring you out some kefir grains when I come visit in November, if you're interested.

Enjoy that yogurt!

Kris said...

I used to share Keem's kefir as a kid all the time. It is good and I would love to try and make it.

See you in November!