Friday, August 1, 2008

Flipping for Flexibility


Elias has been doing gymnastics the last few months. It is a preschool class where they walk balance beams, stretch, swing on the bars and in general try to gain some coordination. Elias loves this class and is gaining confidence with every lesson. You can now regularly find him upside down against the wall or couch, flipping over on the bar on the play set or somersaulting across the grass.

On several occasions his class has been small with just him and one other kid or on Thursday, just him. He spends these classes going from one piece of equipment to another practicing, jumping and never taking breaks. His teacher came out to talk to me after the 45 minutes of non-stop action and told me "he is such a dream to work with". That is SO nice to hear when you have spent the week feeling like he never listens! She has made comments before about how well he listens and understands what she is teaching and at this point said he has to move up. He has the skills and the behavior to move up to the 5-6 year old boys class. So next week we will have a new teacher, a new time and a longer more involved gymnastics lesson. He is thrilled!

2 comments:

Alan Post said...

I really enjoyed my limited experience with gymnastics.

And I really wish I were more flexible and better able to support myself with the kind of strength and flexibility that gymnastics develops. :-)

Kris said...

I always loved my experiences too! Every time I take Elias to class I think about swinging around the bars or flipping across the floor...wishing I cold do it still.